Savory Flaxseed Crackers
One of the future projects on the list for volunteers at the ranch is to design and build a solar dehydrator for drying herbs, seeds, and tasty snacks like these Savory Flaxseed Crackers. In the meantime, we’re using an Excalibur electric dehydrator borrowed from Anamaya.
2 cups whole raw flaxseed
3 cups water
1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 mild chili peppers, seeded
1/2 cup fresh basil
1 clove garlic
1 tsp Himalayan Sea salt
1 tsp ground Turmeric
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1. Soak the flaxseed in the water for 30 minutes.
2. While the flaxseed is soaking, place the tomatoes, peppers, basil, garlic, salt, and turmeric in a food processor and puree. Transfer to a medium bowl.
3. When the flaxseed is ready, strain off the excess water then fold into the contents of the bowl with the olive oil.
4. Pour half the mixture each onto 2 solid dehydrator sheets and spread out to desired thickness.
5. Dehydrate at 115 F degrees.
6. After about 8 hours or when firm enough, lay a mesh sheet from the dehydrator on top of the mixture, place a tray frame over that and flip the entire thing over. Now remove the other frame and gently peel off the solid sheet.
8. Dehydrate for approx. 8 hours more or until all of the moisture has been absorbed.
9. Break into cracker size pieces and enjoy with hummus, fresh guacamole, or your favorite spread!